Museum of Adrano, archaeology and history under the volcanoMuseum of Adrano, archaeology and history under the volcano

Archaeological collections


The archaeological collections occupy three floors of the castle and include materials covering a period of several millennia, from the Neolithic (6500 - 3500 BC) to the Arab Norman period (XI century AD).

The exhibition begins in the halls of the ground floor, devoted entirely to prehistory and protohistory. There are materials concerning the villages of Neolithic age (6500 - 3500 BC), of the first age of metals (3500 - 2200 BC) and of  ancient Bronze Age. Very interesting are the sets of vases from bronze age (facies by Castelluccio, 2200 - 1400 BC) found in the lava caves which are located between Adrano and Biancavilla. At the end we have the archaeological documentation concerning the age of the medium and final Bronze Age (1400 - 900 BC) and the first Iron Age.



Fragment from Stentinello.
Middle Neolithic Age (5500 -4500 b.C.)

Bronze ax from cave Maccarrone.
Ancient Bronze Age

Through the narrow staircase made in the perimeter wall of the castle, access to rooms of the first floor devoted to proto, archaic and classical age.

A large archaeological documentation comes from the city of Mendolita of Adrano (VII-V sec. BC). A relevant position belongs to a sampling of a storeroom of bronzes (ownership Ciaramidaro) and a bronze statue depicting a banqueter, a small masterpiece of ancient age (530 BC). The necropolis are documented through the "tholos" tombs  (early VII - V half century. BC) found in the village Sciare Manganelli. Particular attention lies to the bronze helmet type Calcidesi (500-480 BC) recovered in a tomb between the two world wars.


The banqueter (530 b.C.) 

Antefixes-shaped female head of Mendolito
(525 - 500 b.C.)

Bronze helmet of type calcidese (500 - 480 b.C.)

A large and interesting documentation of archaic and classical age comes from various localities of central-east Sicily with the rich selection of a funerary complex of chamber tombs of contrada Poire (Paternò) and a choice of bronzes and ceramics from various sources.


C.D. sicula divinity of the bridge Primosole (first half of V century b.C.)

Anfora with geometric decoration from Poira.
Tomb 1 (VI cent. b.C.)

The second floor is reserved for finds of late-classical, Hellenistic, Roman and medieval age. The collections returned from the Greek city of Adranon are exhibited, according to Diodorus Siculus, town which was founded around 400 BC . The review of materials consists of acromi vases, with red figures and black paint, sometimes with painted decoration above, terracotta statuettes, objects of daily use coming both from the excavations of the village, both from those of the necropolis that extended, east and to the west, outside the city walls.


Shaped-ram vase (200 - 100 b.C.) Eastern Necropolis

Red-figure pyx (330 - 300 b.C.)
from the funeral set of the tomb N°8.
 Eastern Necropolis
 
Among the materials of Roman, Byzantine and medieval age belonging to the land Adrano, you can see ceramics, glasses, coins and metals, among them two interesting incensieri and two bronze spoons dating to the VI-VIII AD.

The third floor the route concludes with the archaeological hall that exposes epigraphic inscriptions and inscriptions that trace the history of the territory of Adrano through the ages. 

made by Mediaetna  credits
Unione Europea Fondo Sociale Europeo POR Sicilia Regione Sicilia REGIONE SICILIA ASSESSORATO BENI CULTURALI AMBIENTALI E PUBBLICA ISTRUZIONE Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional CSS Validato!