Museum of Adrano, archaeology and history under the volcanoMuseum of Adrano, archaeology and history under the volcano

Historical and artistic collections

The historic–artistic section appears as a place for documentation of the history from the Norman period until the twentieth century. The recent investigation carried out by the Superintendency of Catania has highlighted the concept "civic" that the museum had according to prof. Rosario Franco, not an exhibition space, but a place of memory to which religious and secular institutions, painters, representatives of the local bourgeoisie, citizens, students in schools with their significant contributions, driven by pride to enhance the artistic heritage of a community.

With this vision the Norman castle which hosts the Museum since 1958 is not just a container, is the place of collective memory in which the flow of history finds its natural space. The castle, even if there have been profound historical changes, now presents environments, such as Chapel, where the viewer does not find the works taken out of context , but with their original space,dating to XIII century, and rearranged for exhibition with modern interventions.
In the chapel you can admire fragments of frescoes attributable to the fourteenth century.
In the apse, the Pantocrator, in the almond surrounded by angels with the halo  testifies to the presence of transalpine workers operating in the territory at the end of the fourteenth century.
Within the environment is made sacred by the solemn cross vaults, restored in accordance with the original materials.  


Gentilitial chapel

Gentilitial chapel
”Catino” of apse Christ Blessing (detail)

The fine art gallery includes paintings on canvas, furniture, glass, metal, along with the collection of prints, vestments and household furnishings, one time heritage of churches, monasteries, public and private buildings.

The paintings and the sculptures of the seventeenth and eighteenth century testify in Adrano the presence of artists such as Giuseppe Tomasi and his circle of students (school) Giuseppe Salerno (the Zoppo of Gangi), of Olivio Sozzi and foreign artists who have resided in Adrano.

The technical ability of  the craftsmen  in wood working is demonstrated by a carved wooden throne, lacquered and gilded the eighteenth century; on the base is stated an inscription to Archangel Raffaele and to the buyer Anthony Severino. The work is the appropriate frame for the painting on glass depicting the 'Archangel Raphael and Tobiolo of Ignoto, ascribed by some scholars, for accurate invoice, to Olivio Sozzi, the more likely the award to an artist of his circle.


Throne with painting on glass.
Workshop of local artisans and unknown
(XVIII century)

Valuable epigraphic documentation, the membership of which testifies to the seventeenth century Spanish rule, the epigraph of the eighteenth century of the suburban villa at Giastrillo, witness of a aristocracy that ruled the city.


Stone inscription carved and engraved in Spanish in 1606 (D.OM AL CAPITAN DE ARMAS [...] SU PADRE CESARE CHIANCHESS ...... ESTAS MEM(E)RIA .... EN L'ANNO 1606).

Dedicatory inscription of Don Francesco Musco,
called Giastrillo, carved in white stone, sec. XVIII
(D.FRAN-CO MUSCO//D.D.ASP-EN-XX//D.RE IOPH…//…PROCURAT-)


Headless statue
depicting the Immaculate
(end of XVI - early XVII century)

Madonna and child in alabastro by an unknown artist siciliano.
(end of XVI - early XVII century)

Documents attesting the Garibaldina presence in the territory , diplomas and awards to bodies lay and religious, valuable paintings of the'600,'700 and'800 attest the uniqueness of the collection Sangiorgio.
The Foundation Sangiorgio Gualtieri, as the cards documenting out the cultural and philanthropic activities, is an institution created thank to testamentary of dr. John Sangiorgio Gualtieri with the goal of educating children in distress through the educational use of works of art of various kinds.

The interest for the glorification of the history of a community that has animated the work of restoration and conservation of works carried out by prof. Saro Franco, has led in a few years to transform the museum into a collection of artefacts and objects, which he regarded as valuable documentation of the life of a society in perpetual evolution.

His admiration for the classical world is not binding on the selection of collections within narrow chronological  limits, in fact he implements the project to welcome in the Museum's to works of contemporary artists, including Milluzzo Romano, Guzzone, La Naja, some presented on the occasion of temporary exhibitions, others donated by the artists themselves or purchased by the City, to enhance and explore the art of the twentieth century through the works of artists working in the territory.



 

made by Mediaetna  credits
Unione Europea Fondo Sociale Europeo POR Sicilia Regione Sicilia REGIONE SICILIA ASSESSORATO BENI CULTURALI AMBIENTALI E PUBBLICA ISTRUZIONE Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional CSS Validato!